Mt. Kilimanjaro – the ultimate trekking in Africa
Why not take the possibility to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro – the highest mountain in Africa. Scandic Safari has a professional team of porters and guides that will do their best to make sure you reach the top.
You can choose between many different routes. The most popular routes is Machame and Marangu route. The best chance to reach the top is if you choose between these two routes.
Welcome to the Roof of Africa.
Kilimanjaro Climbing – 6 Days Machame Route.
- Day 01: Around 09.00 AM pick up in hotel and drive to Machame gate. After an introduction to the crew and an information briefing, we will enjoy our lucnh box before we start the climb. We will walk through forest and after 5-7 hours we will reach Machame Campsite at 3000 meters. In the late afternoon, it’s time for relaxing and dinner will be served at sunset.
- Day 02: After breakfast we start climbing and leave the rain forest. We will pass by rocky nature covered with heather. After a while, we will pass a river and lunch box will be served on the route. After app. 5 hours walk we reach Shira Campsite at 3800 meters. Dinner will be served around sunset.
- Day 03: Short after breakfast we prepare to start climbing on our 3 day on Kilimanjaro. We will pass the junction of the peak of Kibo and after we will pass the Arrow Glacier. On the way, you will enjoy your lunch box and after 4-5 hours climb, you will reach Barranco Campsite at 3940 meters. After relaxing in the late afternoon you will have your dinner.
- Day 04: We leave Barronco Campsite after breakfast and we can clearly see the summit of Kilimanjaro. We will enjoy our lunch box at a nice spot and after that we continue 3-4 hours to Bafaru Campsite at 4600 meters. Dinner will be served and we start to prepare next day climb to the summit.
- Day 05: Around midnight we start our climb to the summit. This climb will take around 6-7 hours. This climb is very steep and you will feel the lack of oxygen in the air. When you reach the top, you will see the sunrise and you will feel the sun heat up your body. After enjoying the victory of reaching the top, we start to climb down to Barafu Campsite ite for a rest and brunch. After brunch, we continue down to Mweka Campsite for dinner and sleep. From the summit down to Mweka Campsite it is about 5-6 hours climb.
- Day 06: After breakfast, we continue down and after 3-4 hours, we will arrive at Park gate. After arrival at Park gate, we will drive to your hotel.
You can add one more day to this climb. That means you will have one more day on the way up to the summit, so your body will have more day to acclimatize. It will in the end also have influence on your chances to reach the top of Mr. Kilimanjaro.
Note: This program is flexible and can be tailor made after your ideas.
Kilimanjaro Climbing – 6 Days Marangu Route up and down the same route.
- Day 01: Pick up from your hotel in the morning and we will drive to Marangu Gate. The first day we walk through the tropical rain forest and we will find a nice spot for lunch. In the afternoon, we will reach to Mandara Hut (2743m). The first day climb is about 5-6 hours. After relaxing, we will enjoy nice dinner served by the Scandic Safari chef.
- Day 02: After breakfast, we will leave for another day of trekking. The rest of the path in the rain forest will be quite steep, but soon the path will open into open moorland. Lunch will be served half way and in the afternoon we will reach Horombo Hut (3760m). Today’s climb will take around 4-6 hours and after relaxing dinner will be served.
- Day 03: We wake up a bit later than normal. Today we use to rest and acclimatisation, so we have better chances to reach the top of Mr. Kilimanjaro. Later we will take a walk Zebra Rocks or to Mawenzi Hut. We will walk slowly and get used to the high altitude. Lunch will be served on the walk and dinner will be served in Horombo Hut.
- Day 04: After a wonderful breakfast, we start the 4th day with a walk through lunar desert. We will pass Mt. Mawinzi and this day we really start to feel the lack of oxygen in the air. Therefore, we will walk very slowly and today’s hike will take around 6-7 hours before you reach Kibo Hut (4730m). After arrival, it is time for relaxing before dinner. We will go to bed right after dinner, because after midnight we start the last part of the climb to the top.
- Day 05: Around midnight we will start the climb up to Gillman’s Point (5681m) which is on the crater rim. When we reach Gillman’s point, we continue around the crater rim to reach Uhuru Peak (5895m) the highest peak in Africa. After short celebration of reaching the top, we will descend to Kibo Hut for some refreshment and after that, we start to walk down do Horombo Hut for lunch, dinner and overnight. This long day you will walk around 10-13 hours. It sounds like very long time, but when you reach the top it is easy to climb down again even it is many hours.
- Day 06: Last day on your climb and after breakfast, we will descend to Marangu gate and the Scandic Safari team will drive you back to your hotel.
This program is flexible and can be tailor made after your ideas.
Another possibility of climbing a mountain in the north of Tanzania is Mt. Meru which is located next to Arusha.
You can do the climb in 3 days, but because of the steepness paths of the Mt. Meru, Scandic Safari recommend a climb on 4 days. Many climber says that Mt. Meru is more hard to climb than Mt. Kilimanjaro.
Choose between 3 or 4 days trek on Mt. Meru
- Day 01: Departure from your hotel in Arusha in the morning and drive to Momella Gate in Arusha National Park. After arrival, we begin our hike to the top of Mt. Meru. After leaving the gate, you will have the possibility to see giraffe, buffalo, zebra, warthogs etc. After 4-6 hours hiking you will reach Miriakamba Hut at 2514 meter. If the weather is clear, you will be able to have a nice view towards Kilimanjaro. After relaxing in late afternoon dinner will be served and soon after dinner we will go to sleep, so we are ready for the next day on Mt. Meru.
- Day 02: After breakfast, we start our hike to Saddle Hut. The hike today is very short but very steep. We will hike through beautiful forest and half way we will reach Elephant Ridge where you will have excellent views of the crater floor and lunch box will be served. After 3-5 hours hike we reach Saddle Hut. The afternoon can be used for relaxing or a hike up to Little Meru at 3820 meter for views of the sunset and amazing views of the summit of Mt. Meru. If you are lucky, you will also see the top of Kilimanjaro. After sunset dinner will be served.
- Day 03: We wake up early around 2 AM to reach the summit of Socialist Peak at 4566 meters for sunrise. The hike up is steep and in the end of the hike, you will feel every step you take. However, you will be rewarded when you reach the summit of Mt. Meru and the sun starts to rise together with the view to Mt. Kilimanjaro and you will feel the sun warming up your body. After watching the sunrise we will start to go down again to Saddle Hut. At Saddle Hut, we take a small rest and brunch will be prepared. After Brunch, we will continue down to Momella gate where we will get pick up and drive to your hotel/guesthouse.
You can add an extra day on the climb. For many hikers day 03 is very tough day, because you walk from 0200 am in the morning until afternoon. If you choose 4 days hiking, you will after brunch at Saddle Hut walk further down to Miriakamba Hut for dinner and overnight and on 4th day hike further down to the gate of Momella. From there we drive you back to your hotel.
This programmes is flexible for your own ideas.